The mission of FleaHab is to provide a sober living environment, created to integrate exercise and a healthy lifestyle into the recovery process for those afflicted with drug or alcohol addiction.
FleaHab will provide an alternative sober living program for clients interested in a more holistic approach to recovery. With the help of friends, family, and business associates, Darryl is incorporating what he has learned to work for his sobriety into a concept to help others. He has worked with recovering addicts locally and experienced success in introducing these clients to the benefits of living an active and healthy lifestyle.
“FleaHab is a place where people who are recovering from addiction can live and get back to the healthy activities they enjoy. Activities include: surfing, skateboarding, tennis, golf, biking, hiking, and camping.” – Darryl Virostko
Darryl “Flea” Virostko
A native of Santa Cruz, California, Darryl “Flea” Virostko has earned a reputation as one of the most fearless surfers in the world — winning the Mavericks competition, the Super Bowl of big-wave surfing, three consecutive times. With a flourishing career in big-wave surf competitions and corporate sponsors, Darryl has appeared in the surfing films Riding Giants, Step Into Liquid, Billabong Odysseys and most recently The Westsiders, the award winning documentary that follows the rise and fall of the Santa Cruz surf tribe.
Darryl was at the top of his profession when the celebrity lifestyle that accompanied his surfing success brought with it alcohol and methamphetamine addiction. A near fatal fall from a cliff almost killed him – that was when he decided to get help.
Now Darryl is giving back with an exercise-based approach to rehabilitation for addicts, FleaHab Inc. In a survey of 500 counties across the Santa Cruz County completed in 2005, 87 percent reported increases in methamphetamine-related arrests in the previous three years. California counties reported a 100 percent increase.
A not-for-profit organization, the mission of FleaHab is to provide a sober living environment in Santa Cruz focused on physical activity, in effect replacing the high of drugs with the endorphins of exercise. Combined with a nutritional menu and access to sports, yoga and other holistic support systems, FleaHab offers a new approach to sober living – and new hope for those afflicted by drugs and alcohol.
FleaHab teaches recovering addicts how to surf and be active while learning a new way of life, without the ups and downs caused by addiction. Find out more and get involved.
Fleahab: A New Approach to Sober Living
- FleaHab expands upon the traditional concept of the SLE to focus on a holistic mind, body and spirit approach to recovery
- FleaHab involves daily physical activity and sports – replacing the high of drugs with the endorphins of exercise
- FleaHab supports a healthy community where clients interact in positive ways
- FleaHab integrates physical activities with clients’ ongoing support systems such as AA
What is a Sober Living Environment (SLE)?
- A safe and clean place where recovering alcohol and drug addicts go to get their lives on track, typically after a structured rehab program
- A sober living community where clients adapt to sober life through routine chores, meetings and community life with other recovering addicts
- A rule-based approach to living where clients are held accountable for actions and negative behaviors
- A positive atmosphere for clients to build a solid foundation and transition to society
Why it’s Important
Drug arrests are up 100% in California and jails are full
A study published in 2011 by the Betty Ford Clinic states the value clearly:“The lack of a living environment that supports sustained recovery is a major obstacle to successful treatment of substance abuse disorders in out-patient programs and SLH’s (sober living houses) should be considered as an adjunct to outpatient treatment for clients who have access to limited financial resources or reside in destructive living environments.”